Friday, April 6, 2007

Easter is Giving Me the Shakes!


Yes, I know it is well past St. Patrick’s Day, but part of my mind can’t leave March 17th yet. The reason? Well, during Lent it’s tradition in Catholicism that people “give up something” for Lent. This often takes the form of sweets, or drinks, etc. It’s very much from the old Catholic asceticism practices and many in the church have tried to reframe it so that people focus instead on doing something positive. But the practice remains and has had some resurgence lately. In years past I have not given up anything, but have tried to do some things instead during this time to focus on the season – journaling, letter writing, praying. Well, this year, I decided to give up something, something hard. Ice cream! Since I love it, almost as much as Nicole, and maybe more, (Read as ice cream eating contest challenge!) it’s been a tough go, but we’re nearing the finish line. Where does St. Patrick’s Day come in you ask? Well, every year McDonald’s offers green Shamrock Shakes for a couple weeks around St. Patrick’s Day. And they are a little cup o’ heaven! So in my freezer are two frozen Shamrock Shakes from back around St. Patrick’s Day, waiting to be enjoyed faster than free hot dogs on Hot Dog Day at LGH. So this year Easter bunnies have given way to leprechauns. 12:01am Saturday night is technically Easter, right?
Mmmm, green ice cream……

1 comment:

Matt said...

I too have a weakness for the green stuff in a cup. I feel your pain.

I actually had found a recipe on the internet for a homemade mint ice cream with mylanta in it. It was recommended as a St. Patrick's day treat to help temper the inevitable side effects of the libations one typically consumes that day.